It’s 1.14pm on day one of NaNoWriMo and as yet I haven’t written a single word of my new novel. Not perhaps the MOST promising start, but I’m not panicking just yet. Why? Because I HAVE A PLAN – and it goes a little something like this:
- Work like a demon (right through lunch) until 4pm
- Leave office and install self in caffeine-vending establishment (Café Nero and Costa both being less than 100ft from office)
- Write as if life depends on it until 6.55pm
- Walk five minutes to restaurant to meet friends
- Celebrate successful first day of NaNo with a glass of chilled Pinot Grigio
Of course the fact that a) I have about three days’ worth of work to cram into the next three hours and b) I’m still not at all sure how the first chapter is going to start are both somewhat concerning threats to the ultimate achievement of this plan. But as historically my best work has always been done under pressure I choose to regard these challenges as opportunities for greatness rather than barriers to success. The first day of NaNo is not a time to fall apart. It is a time to indulge in superhuman amounts of self-confidence.
I am a writing super hero. I WILL succeed.
Good luck 🙂